top of page

Pre-Departure Checklist


Make sure your passport has at least six months of validity. It is also a good idea to make a copy of your passport and visa documents and leave it with a relative.


Check that your visa is still valid - bring all your visa documents (including Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) with you on the plane.


Make sure you have enough time to adjust to your new city when you book your flight and don't fly too close to the start of your course. Wait until you get your student visa before you book your flight.


Other documents to bring:

Also bring other official documents, such as:

  • International driver's licence 

  • National ID card

  • certified copy of your birth certificate 

  • marriage certificate (if applicable)

  • written references from a previous employer

  • written references from your previous landlord (this may help with renting in Australia)

  • A copy of your resume

  • Medical records, especially a vaccination history for yourself and any family members travelling with you, and of medicine that may be needed in Australia.


Travel Insurance

Besides your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), you should also consider general travel insurance, which includes cancelled flights and other medical expenses.


Carrying some Australian currency when you land in Australia is a good idea. You can change money at many international airports and cities.


Organise to have AUD$2,000 for when you arrive in Australia — at least $500 in cash and the rest available via credit/debit card.

Check with your bank, if you can take out money from ATMs (cash machines in Australia). If you can, find out how much they charge you each time.


Opening an account with an Australian bank is a popular option. Some banks will let you apply for an account before you get there. To open a bank account you must visit a branch, complete a bank application form and provide your passport, student ID and Tax File Number (TFN).

Moving to Australia to study – CommBank

International student bank account | Westpac


You must fill in your accommodation address on your Incoming Passenger Card (IPC) at the Australian Border Control in the airport. 

Packing your bag

For Australia, bring clothes that are appropriate for warm or cool weather. 

  • Summer (December, January, February) – 14–25 degrees Celsius with high temperatures of 25–40 degrees.

  • Autumn (March, April and May) – 11–20 degrees Celsius.

  • Winter (June, July, August) – 6–14 degrees Celsius, but can be near zero at night.

  • Spring (September, October, November) – 10–20 degrees Celsius, and this is usually the wettest season.

Check how much luggage your airline allows you to bring. Some airlines let you purchase extra baggage online, which costs less than paying for a bag that is too heavy or extra at airport check-in.


Many medicines and medical devices can be brought with you into Australia if they are for your personal use. Some require a permit or prescription.

Ask your doctor for a letter that includes the technical name of, and reason for, any medicine you are planning to bring or may need to buy in Australia.

A documented medical history will ensure you get proper care in an emergency.

For more info, see Travelling with medicines and medical devices

Hand luggage

You might want to bring extra clothes, a toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant to clean up if your main luggage gets delayed. Remember that liquid, aerosol, and gel items must be in containers of 100 millilitres or less. 

Other Border conditions

There is no need to:

  • show proof of your COVID-19 vaccination, or

  • have a COVID-19 test

However, you should verify your airline's criteria and any countries you transit through.

Check your travel requirements by visiting the Department of Home Affairs website.

​​​Incoming Passenger Card (IPC)

Australian law mandates that passengers who arrive in Australia must provide their identity and some information by filling out a passenger card. Incoming Passenger Card (

The Portuguese version is here

Planning to work?

You can work and study with your student visa. The best sites for job seeking in Australia include:

Don't forget that international students with jobs must pay taxes to Australia. This is important when you fill out an employment declaration form before you start working. You must obtain a Tax File Number (TFN) and send the TFN Application Form to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).


You also need the TFN to open a bank account. Foreign passport holders, permanent migrants and temporary visitors – TFN application | Australian Taxation Office (

Mobile Networks

Contact your mobile phone or cell phone service provider to check if your phone is compatible with Australia. You may have to get a different SIM to use during your stay.

What not to bring to Australia

Here is a list of items that you should not bring to Australia:

  • Fresh fruits and vegetables

  • Live plants and seeds

  • Meat and poultry products

  • Dairy products

  • Firearms and weapons

Pamphlet PDF with images for International Students

Website - Studying in Australia - DAFF

For a complete list, see List of items you can and can't bring in (

While you are in Australia: Important for Student Visa Holders:

  • Maintaining enrolment in a registered course of study

  • Meeting attendance and academic performance requirements

  • Maintaining adequate health insurance

  • Notifying the Department of Home Affairs of any change of address

  • Not working more than a specified number of hours per week

  • Not overstaying the visa

bottom of page